Use of Technology
In order to preserve the peaceful nature of the campus environment and the social health of our community, we insist on some strict limitation on the use of personal technologies.
During the eight-week summer season, and while semester students are on campus: we ask that cell phones and other devices are not stored or used within the staff or student village (anywhere south of the stream).
During the remainder of the year, and including throughout the summer, we ask the following:
- cell phones will not be used for navigation purposes while on a Kroka program
- cell phones will not be used to record or display photographs, music, or video
- cell phones will not be used within the visible or audible presence of students
- cell phones will not be used during a staff or student community mealtimes
- cell phones will not be used during any staff or community meetings
Note: In addition to cellphones, these other devices are also subject to similar sensitivities and restrictions: computer, calculator, GPS, e-readers, cell phone, mp3 players, tablets, ipads, radio, television, DVD player, gaming device, etc.
- During a life-threatening emergency there are no restrictions on cell phone use. Note that getting lost, cold, hungry, tired, bored, annoyed, or missing a great photo opportunity are not life threatening emergencies.
- Simple watches and clocks for telling time are permitted for staff and visiting teachers, but not students.
- Cameras – including video cameras - (that are strictly cameras and have no other functionality) are permitted for staff and visiting teachers only (not students). Please do not review, preview, or watch images on the camera while in the presence of students.
- Personal Cell Phones and/or Kroka Cell Phones and/or Satellite Phones and/or GPS devices are permitted if being carried by staff during a program. Devices must be kept packed in zip-lock bag or pelican case and turned-off except in case of emergency or critical logistical communications.
- Year-Round Senior Staff (Directors, Farmers, Managers) may need to carry cell phone at certain times, but must have the ringer turned off while in the student village.
- Any staff may carry campus two-way radio at any time in any place.
RECORDED MUSIC & RADIO PROGRAMS:
Playing recorded music, or listening to the radio out loud (without headphones) is permitted in indoor utility work areas (not office spaces) as long as there are NO STUDENTS PRESENT within hearing distance. Examples of these spaces include: Kitchen, Food Room, Boat House, Bike Shop, Farm Office, Sewing Room, or Workshop.
EARBUDS / HEADPHONES:
In order to preserve safety, social approachability, and unfiltered experience of the natural world, the use of electronic “earbuds”, “earphones” or “headphones” for entertainment is NOT PERMITTED while working on the Kroka campus or driving a Kroka vehicle.
FARMHOUSE WIRELESS INTERNET ACCESS:
Wireless internet “WIFI” access for staff personal devices is available on a limited basis during certain hours of the day - currently 5:00 AM - 9:30 PM. Excessive data downloads or streaming will disrupt Kroka's core office operations - please be frugal and sensitive.